The post-doctoral fellowship of the Committee on Global Thought at Columbia University brings together an innovative group of interdisciplinary researchers from around the world. The Fellowship gives emerging scholars the opportunity to work with distinguished faculty and provides a space for collaborative research and publication. Global Thought encourages interdisciplinary, transnational research. Scholars from any discipline may apply, provided that they successfully indicate how their work will contribute to Global Thought`s research and teaching agenda.
Currently, some of the Committee`s research interests include:
- Cities and Urban Spaces
- Financial Crises and Global Financial Stability
- Sovereign Wealth Funds and Sustainable Capitalism
- Transitions and Political Upheavals in the Middle East and North Africa
- Global Economic and Legal Governance
CGT welcomes applications from any field. In the past, CGT has hosted fellows and supported research in the following disciplines:
- Middle Eastern, South Asian, & African Studies
- East Asian Languages & Cultures
- International Affairs
- Latin American Studies
- Political Science
- Public Health
Up to four fellowship spots are available for the academic year beginning September 1, 2012. The term of the fellowship is one calendar year, renewable for a second year based on demonstrated progress.
To apply please visit official website
Application Deadline: October 31, 2011.
Fellows are expected to:
Teach one undergraduate or graduate course each academic year. The course may be either of their own design or as specified by the Committee. When teaching, fellows are required to hold weekly office hours. Participate in planning and execution of research workshops, conferences, events and curricular initiatives. Present their individual research projects.
Candidates will be considered only if:
- They received their first doctorate from a recognized university no earlier than August 1, 2010.
- They will be able to provide certification of their doctorate by August 1, 2012. Those who have not completed their degree at the time of application must provide a statement from an adviser citing the expected date of completion.
- They do not hold or have not held a tenure or tenure-track position.
- They can fluently speak, publish, and teach in English.
- They submit a completed application.
- International applicants are encouraged to apply. If selected, Columbia University will sponsor the appropriate visa.
Fellows will receive:
- An annual salary of $55,000, which includes health insurance and other standard benefits.
- Access to Columbia University libraries and computer resources.
- Shared office space.
- Eligibility for additional funding for special research projects.
Eligibility to apply for campus housing.
Required Application Materials
Application materials, with the exception of references, must be submitted online. Hard copies of application materials will not be accepted. All materials must be in English.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Research proposal not to exceed 1,500 words, including the background, nature, importance, specific objectives, and methodology of the proposed project
- Writing Sample
- Not to exceed 5,000 words
- Preferably an article or research paper published in a scholarly journal
- Topic should be pertinent to the proposed research project
- No books will be accepted
Proposed course syllabus of up to two pages for an undergraduate or graduate course Two letters of reference from two members of the academic profession, submitted via email or post:
Committee on Global Thought
2960 Broadway MC 5780
New York City, NY 10027
Please instruct your references to submit their references directly as above. Your references will not be contacted by CGT requesting their submission.
Shortly after submission, the completion of your application will be confirmed. If you do not receive an email immediately, please do not email or call requesting your application status.
A small number of applicants will be contacted for an interview in early 2012. Candidates whose applications will not progress will be alerted of this decision in January 2012.
The final fellowship decision will be made in March 2012.
Questions? Please review the Frequently Asked Questions.
Visit Official Website
198 kali dilihat, 1 kali dilihat hari ini